AIR JORDAN 2012 CAMPAIGN
The AJ 2012 marked the Jordan brand's release of a groundbreaking flight system -- sneakers that utilized two inner sleeves and three midsoles, a custom fit and cushioning for three different styles of play.
We brought the system to life with an immersive digital experience built around a next-level, parallax scrolling HTML5 site.
The target audience of 14 to 24-year-old males required an engaging experience that could be accessed anywhere, but the complexity of the shoe made it difficult to explain to the consumer. This innovative site tells the entire product story with a few scrolls or swipes allowing visitors to dive quickly into different configurations.
The animated experience transitions from vehicles made of shoe components to the actual product, which assembles in 3D space, accompanied by feature-specific callouts, designer interviews and poster downloads. Parallax movement through each section mirrors the Fly Over, Fly Around or Fly Through performance themes. On completion, visitors can opt to buy the footwear, share on Facebook or tweet to win their favourite AJ2012 set-up. The site’s sophisticated design and HTML5 framework ensure a seamless experience across mobile and tablet devices.
The campaign spread through social media within hours of launch, with hashtags #FlyAround, #FlyOver and #FlyThrough dominating news feeds. For the first time in years the Air Jordan launched without a TV spot or Print ad, but just like MJ, the AJ2012 set new records.
1 Million unique visitors since launch
1 Million PRODUCT VIEWS in the first month
More than 35,000 leads to retail in the first 2 weeks
Strong engagement: Average dwell time of 4 minutes on the website
SNAPSHOT OF CONSUMER RESPONSES TO THE CAMPAIGN...
TABLET AND MOBILE
THE INTERACTIVE IPAD RETAIL EXPERIENCE
As part of the Air Jordan 2012 Campaign we created an interactive iPad experience that consumers could explore while waiting to try on the new AJ2012 shoe at the 'Flight Lab' retail events held around the country. The iPad experience gave consumers exclusive access to information and video content about the performance and inspiration behind the design of the AJ2012 Shoe.
Digital media enticed people to ‘choose their flight’ and then took them to the ultimate place to learn how.
Results in the first 2 weeks:
313K clicks (CTR of 31%)
SOME OTHER INTERESTING THINGS ABOUT THIS CAMPAIGN
• The site was in development for five months and roughly 30 people were involved from start to finish.
• In the middle of December the creative team discovered that they couldn’t use any of the Jordan athletes in the campaign: no Melo, CP or DWade. Since concepts were built around the three athletes they had to be reworked in record time to hit the February 25 launch date.
• The entire animation on the site was done with code; recreating the 3-D animations in HTML5 required thousands of images.
• This site led the overall campaign for the AJ2012 which included dynamic banners and interactive takeovers of major websites, social media to support the shoe’s various launches, initiatives through a Twitter hashtag campaign & Facebook integration, a tablet app and custom video content featured at the NBA All-Star Weekend.
• This site has been tweeted and retweeted continually and received roughly one million visitors since its launch.
I find it important to highlight that my role in this campaign was one of strategic planning and client management. All of the concepts, creative, design, development and strategy were generated by the talented Blast Radius team listed below, who I had the pleasure of working with on this project:
Executive Creative Director: Mark Waggoner
Creative Directors: Ryan Leeson and Greg Liburd
Copywriter: Marcus McLaughlin
Copywriter: Ryan Santos
Copywriter: Greg Liburd
Art Director: Mitsuaki Yajima
Art Director: Gavin Froome
Designer: Carson Ting
Designer: Marcus Eriksson
Strategy Director: John Ounpuu
Strategist: Charles Voon
Community Manager: Stu Holdren
Development: Casey Yee
Development: Andrew Archbold
Development: Bruce Pomery
Development: Zeus Lalkala